This Norman Castle was built in close proximity to the river Moy, c. 1239 by Jordan de Exeter. De Exeter became Sheriff of Connaught and the Castle emerged as one of his strongholds. Two towers were added approximately 20 years after the initial construction. The remains of one of them is still evident to this day. The Castle came under attack in 1316 and was virtually destroyed. No proper reconstruction took place so the building went into decline.
Once the Castle was established Jordan de Exeter had a Friary built approximately 2 kilometres away in what is now the village of Straide. It is believed that at one time a tunnel connected both of those Norman structures.