Straide community has been selected to represent Mayo in the national title of Pride of Place 2019 competition. Straide competes with other communities of the same size, ie of populations less than 1,000, from each of the other 31 counties.Pride of Place is all about the pride a community has in itself. The judges will visit Straide on the morning of July 9th and will be particularly interested in the following: The level of involvement by individuals and community groups.
• Evidence of community involvement in providing for youth, people with disabilities, minorities and the elderly.
• Active involvement with local agencies, local council and local business. • Evidence of innovation.
• Engagement of residents / business in caring for the built and natural environment.
• Sustainability and long term benefits.
• Preservation of the culture of the area.
• Linkages with neighbouring communities.
Please keep the judging date July 9th free as there will be a community get together that morning. Pride of Place is our opportunity to showcase what a vibrant a community we are! We are a very active community. The many groups and organisations in Straide have been very busy and we have plenty of reasons to be proud.
In this competition, the community is asked to prepare a 20 minute presentation for the judges. Previous winners have approached this in a variety of ways including a 20 minute video highlighting the great work and successes of community groups in the area. It will be exciting to prepare Straide’s presentation. No doubt it will help us value, even more, our people, our achievements, our way of life and why we are so proud of Straide.
Many thanks to all the Groups, Clubs, Organisations, Businesses and Individuals who have contributed. To any person or group that has been omitted or mis-represented, no offence is intended or should be implied.