The Match-Stick Man (Tadhg Dall o hUiginn)
Tadhg Dall O’hUiginn was a member of a family of professional poets. He was known as Dall because he was blind or partially sighted. He had a brother Maol Muire O’hUiginn who was the Archbishop of Tuam and died in 1590. Tadhg had lands in Achonry, Kilmactigue and various other parcels in County Sligo. He was a descendant of Tadhg Og O’hUiginn who died in 1448 and is buried in Straide Friary. Tadhg composed a satirical poem mocking the O’hEadhra family from Sligo. They retaliated by cutting out his tongue before murdering him in 1591. The grave of ‘The Match-Stick Man’ in the environs of Straide Friary is believed to be the final resting place of Tadhg Dall O’hUiginn.